Ready To Start Something New? Discover What a Career In Beauty Could Offer You
If you find yourself wishing that you were in a different career, you’re not alone. Many college students change majors at least once, if not twice before graduation. Although changing a career once you’ve been in a field for a few years can be challenging, it’s not impossible. No matter what held you back from pursuing your dream job, it’s time to break down the barriers. The Salon Professional Academy can help you take the steps you need to enter the beauty industry.
If you’ve always dreamed of working in the beauty industry, then you need information. It’s important to know the facts before changing careers. Here are seven reasons many people get into the field:
- Beauty is timeless. Cosmetology is an evergreen career, because there will always be people who need to have their hair cut and styled.
- The beauty industry is a career that travels. You may find yourself working at a spa in the Rocky Mountains, a cruise ship or in a small town. The choice is yours, and it’s not limited by the industry.
- The employment growth rate for cosmetologists, barbers and hairdressers is 13 percent, which is faster than the average of 6 to 7 percent for most careers.
- In a beauty career, you have more flexibility to set your own hours. You can own your business, but even when you’re working for someone else, you have many opportunities to work outside the normal 9 to 5 schedule.
- The beauty industry has a lot of creativity and changes. Think back 20, 30 or 50 years. Hair and makeup styles have come a long way. Cosmetologists and beauticians are trendsetters. If you want to be on the front line of creating new style and learning new trends, beauty school might be the place for you.
- You have the opportunity to touch people’s lives. As a cosmetologist, you will interact with your community every day, helping each person become the best version of themselves. It’s rewarding to see someone smile when their hair is styled in a way that suits them.
- Beauty school is a non-traditional environment. If you learn best by actually doing, not listening to lectures, cosmetology school is for you. That’s not to say you won’t have to sit through a lecture now and then, but you will get to put your skills to work right away.
Don’t Let These Common Misconceptions Hold You Back
- You aren’t going to make enough in a beauty career to support your family. Not True, although what you earn often depends on your motivation, your skills and where you work, you’ll find many salons that have cosmetologists as the owner/entrepreneur. The opportunities are only limited by your imagination and talent.
- Cosmetology isn’t a real career. There’s an underlying notion that a career isn’t a “real” career unless college is involved, but the beauty industry has strict regulations that require classes in chemistry, anatomy, business management and more. Cosmetologists are required to prove their skills through licensing and get continuing education to maintain their place in the field.
- I don’t have time to pursue my dreams. Whether you work weird hours, have kids or just have a demanding job that you can’t leave while you’re learning new skills, it doesn’t make sense to leave your dreams on the table. Sometimes, you just need to know your options about how you can make changes to get to where you want. After all, most things in life that hold you back won’t change without some effort on your part.
At The Salon Professional Academy, we have different schedule options that can help you take the first steps towards a cosmetology career. If it seems impossible that you can find the time, money or education, let one of our enrollment specialists brainstorm with you about how you can make it happen.
Contact us to make your career dreams a reality. Tour the school and see what we have to offer.